Saturday, December 11, 2010

e.e. cummings

Last year our class was assigned a packet of poetry which we had to analyze. One author was E.E. Cummings.
I absolutely, positively hated E.E. Cummings. Nothing made sense and everything was unrhymed and unmetered and senseless and pointless.
Even now, I'm pretty sure that I still don't truly understand the purpose of poetry. It's like taking something you want to say and hiding it, like giving a gift but putting it into the deepest depths of the sea to see who is  passionate enough to dive in for it.
I always believed that if you wanted to say something, you could say it the way you mean it. Sing about it. Write about it. 
But I suppose each of us has his or her own way of expressing emotions that is precious to them.
Mine would be books. Music. Lyrics and without, simply orchestral melodies that paint a picture.
And some people seem to love sitting and staring between the lines of poems to find the deeper meaning.
Personally, I do not, but if you do then don't let anyone take that away from you.
I like to think of myself as being intellectual. I can figure things out and solve problems. But I'm also very simplistic in some ways. I'm not good at searching for the undercurrents of writing, all the foreshadowing and symbolism and secretive things. I like the message to hit me in the face so I can be sure I don't miss it. That's why I want to go into journalism and not prose or poetry. It's simplistic, to the point, and true. And it always means something.
But back to my original thought that gave way to all that thought vomit- I finally found a quote by E.E. Cummings that's clear as day and I don't feel as though I'm missing something.

"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes."
I love that.

Today is such an amazing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment