Thursday, August 11, 2011

the difference between everything and nothing at all

this summer I've read a whole lot and I realize only two books are represented here but that's because they're both genius. this is my periodical nerd blog so just go with it

"And now the old story has begun to write itself over there," said Carl softly. "Isn't it queer: there are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before; like the larks in this country, that have been singing the same five notes over for thousands of years."
- O Pioneers!


"She often repeated her prayers; not at particular times, but, like the unaffectedly devout, when she desired to pray. Her prayer was always spontaneous, and often ran thus, "O deliver my heart from this fearful gloom and loneliness; send me great love from somewhere, else I shall die."
- The Return of the Native


"The age of modern man is to be measured by the intensity of his history."
- The Return of the Native


"Well, whatever I may have thought, one thing is certain- I do love you- past all compass and description. I love you to oppressiveness- I, who have never before felt more than a pleasant passing fancy for any woman I have ever seen. Let me look right into your moonlit face and dwell on every line and curve in it! Only a few hairbreadths make the difference between this face and faces I have seen many times before I knew you; yet what a difference- the difference between everything and nothing at all."
- The Return of the Native

2 comments:

  1. I like the second and last quotes! Those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly Melissa, I think you'd really like that book! It's kind of different but I just found it so interesting with all the symbolism and everything.

    ReplyDelete